Today was the first day of school for my brood. Since I have two in half day pre-K and one in second grade, it equaled two and a half hours of peace and quiet for mommy. Ha! Any of you who have children know that
stay at home moms work at home moms don’t sit around every day getting pedicures and massages while the kids are at school. That would be awesome, but unfortunately it’s not part of the gig. I usually just use the morning to try to keep our house looking a little less “lived in”.
So since I didn’t have a full body massage planned for today, I wanted to come up with a very special dessert for the family. In my opinion, it’s always fun to have celebrations, and this time of year I can’t think of something better to celebrate than the first day of school. Why not make something as yummy as possible to ease those back to school jitters?
About a week ago, I started thinking, “what if there was a dessert that combined s’mores and Oreos? They could call them s’moreos!” I was so proud of myself for being such a clever fox. After a few minutes of dancing around and basking in my genius, I was soon brought back to Earth when I decided to do a Google search. What I realized then was that s’moreos, like all of my million dollar ideas, already exist. My search showed me s’moreo recipes out the wazoo, but none of them were exactly what I was looking for. For one thing, a lot of them included peanut butter. That sounds AMAZING to me, but would be tragic for my peanut allergic twins, so I created my own s’moreos dessert. I served them with a big glass of milk, but I think topping them with a scoop of vanilla ice cream (our nut allergic kids like Ben & Jerry’s) would really take it up a notch!
- 1½ cups packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup plus ¼ cup mini chocolate chips
- ¾ cup plus ½ cup mini marshmallows
- 12 oreos
- 18 graham cracker squares
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- In a large bowl, blend the brown sugar, butter, and eggs.
- Add the flour, baking powder, one cup of the chocolate chips and ½ cup of the mini marshmallows
- Put the Oreos and graham cracker squares in a large Ziploc bag. Zip and crush the Oreos/graham crackers to a crumbly consistency (not too fine)
- Remove half of the cookie crumbles and stir into the other ingredients already in the bowl until evenly mixed
- Put the ¼ cup mini chocolate chips and ½ cup mini marshmallows into the Ziploc bag cookie crumble mixture for later.
- Spread the contents into a greased 13 x 9 inch baking pan.
- Sprinkle the cookie crumble/marshmallow/chocolate chip mixture on top.
- Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cut into bars after cooled. They take a while to cool, and are a bit messy, but still delicious!
Let me know in the comments if you give these a try!